In photography class this week, one of my students wanted to discuss what a solid upgrade for a serious portrait photographer might entail. Here’s what we came up with for a Nikon user:
* Nikon D810 DSLR Camera (Body Only): A serious DSLR with full frame sensor and excellent low-light performance. Order yours from B&H or Amazon.
* Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED: An excellent “walkabout lens” for everyday shooting and wider shots incorporating the subject’s environment. I use the Canon equivalent of this about 75% of the time on my DSLR. Order yours from B&H or Amazon.
* Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F/2.8G ED VR ll: This rugged telephoto lens is for when you’re farther away from the subject or you want to shoot in much tighter and with the pleasing effect of lens compression. I use the Canon equivalent of this lens a lot as a second lens when covering events. Order yours from B&H or Amazon.
* Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F/1.4G: It’s always useful to have a fast prime lens with a wide aperture to create beautiful portraits and background blur (bokeh). Order yours from B&H or Amazon.
* Nikon SB-910 AF Speedlight: Flashes are not merely for providing a fill light. The ability to add light to a scene means you can shape the light to create a mood that matches your own creative vision. Order yours from B&H or Amazon.
* Nikon SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander Unit: You’ll need this as branch out in flash photography and want to have more control over your lighting setups. Order yours from B&H or Amazon.
Gosh, what a fun shopping list! =] Additionally, if a photographer wanted to get into nice strobe kits at some point, this is the one I’ve been daydreaming about:
* Profoto D1 Air 500 w/s 2 monolight studio kit: This is a portable lighting solution with some serious power and solid construction. Order yours from B&H or Amazon.
Anyway, please let me know if you can think of anything else that a serious photographer might want to consider when upgrading their main portrait kit!
Finally, here are the Amazon Holiday Deals in Electronics and B&H Holiday Gifts & Deals pages to check daily for deals this season.
Don't forget to check out the Recommendations page for the latest products that I'm showing to friends and blog readers based on their requests. I love talking about this stuff, and every time you click on a referral link from this website to a featured retailer like Amazon.com and B&H Photo and Video, I get a small commission that helps keep this site running, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support, and please contact me if you need any recommendations!